As a servant to her community and elected official for 14 years as Hillsborough County School Board Member for District 1, Susan L. Valdes is now running for Florida House of Representatives District 62 to continue her advocacy on education statewide and tackle other issues such as the environment, healthcare and economic development.
Valdes is a product of Hillsborough County Public Schools. She attended Booker T. Washington Elementary, West Tampa Jr. High, Pierce Jr. High and A.P. Leto High School.
Being raised by a single mother, Valdes learned the value of education early on in life. In later years, after raising a family, Valdes earned a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from Nova Southeastern University and a Masters in Organizational Leadership from Manhattan College. She was also awarded an Honorary Doctorate in Humane Letters from Everest University for her service to the Tampa Bay community.
Valdes firmly believes that human dignity and quality of life are key to our society with education being one of the many components. Her passion is motivated by the need to improve the treatment and care for individuals throughout all stages and facets of life.
Her dedication as a servant to her community can be seen through her actions.
Valdes kept her campaign promise and established a Back to School Fair to address the needs of the Town & Country community. This fair grew to be the largest in Hillsborough County and served visitors from her district and surrounding districts. On July 28, 2018, Valdes will host her 14th Back to School Fair to serve the thousands of students and their families. The Back to School Fair includes free physicals, immunizations, school supplies and various home products, along with a day of fun for students and their families.
Valdes has volunteered and managed a clinic with the Hillsborough County Health Care Program in which she also helped the patients with social services resources. She has been a strong proponent of diversity, equity and inclusion and under her leadership a Racial Equity Policy was adopted unanimously by the school board.
Valdes is a proponent of eco-friendly materials and going “green” and has encouraged and backed efforts to make the school district more eco-sustainable. And, through her terms with the school district she has shown her support for small businesses and keeping contracts local.
"It's about people. All people," Valdes reiterates over and over again. And with your vote, you can help make a difference not just in your community, but in the communities of others throughout the State of Florida.
Elect Susan L. Valdes for Florida House of Representatives District 62 for progressive change for all.
Valdes has represented her community on various national, state, and local level leadership positions:
- National School Board Association National Hispanic Caucus Southern Region Director (six years)
- Steering Committee member for the National School Board Association Council of Urban Boards of Education (represents more than 7.5 million students)
- Chairman of the Central Florida Coalition (encompasses 10 school districts representing more than 850,000 students)
- Florida School Boards Association Multicultural and Diversity Committee (Vice Chair)
- Florida School Boards Association Board of Directors
- Council of the Great City Schools
- Value Adjustment Board (Vice Chair)
- FSBA Legislative Liaison (alternate)
- Council of Urban Boards of Education (CUBE)
- National Association of Latino Elected Officials (NALEO)
- Chairperson of Hillsborough County School Board
- Northwest Little League Board of Directors
- Executive Committee of Lowry Park Zoo
Bob Henriquez, Property Appraiser of Hillsborough County and former Florida House of Representatives, District 62
Senator Darryl Rouson, Florida Senate, 19th District
Tampa Bay Times
Florida Sentinel Bulletin
La Gaceta Newspaper